Wednesday 26 March 2014

stalagmites and stalactites

I really really want to visit Treak Cliff Caven in Buxton which is the closest place where I can go and view crystals which is the only place in the world where you can view blue john stone, and there are also stalagmites and stalactites caves. I am lucky enough to have a piece of blue john rock. I have visited Treak Cliffe in the past with my family and a friend however before we got further into  the caves I got really scared and ran out, but I was only ten so  don't think it will happen again, I plan to go in the next few weeks. Stalagmites are a type of rock formation that rises from the floor of a cave due to the accumulation of material deposited on the floor from ceiling drippings.Another type of stalagmite is formed in lava tubes while lava is still active inside the mineral, formation happens very quickly in only a matter of hours, days, or weeks, whereas limestone stalagmites may take up to thousands of years, limestone stalagmites are the most common stalagmites ,they form through deposition of calcium carbonate and other minerals, which is precipitated from mineralised water solutions.

Whereas stalactites are the opposite they hang from the ceiling. by soluble minerals, they can be deposited as a colloid, or is in suspension, or is capable of being melted, may form a stalactite. They form from the same materials as stalagmites in limestone, lava and ice.

http://www.bluejohnstone.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment